LEARN HOW TO SURF
WITH SWELL CABARETE SURF CAMP
You've worked hard all year and you've got limited vacation time.
You have always wanted to learn how to surf, but always thought: it's too difficult / it's for young people / you have to be super fit etc. etc.
Here at Swell we have taught 1000's of people the sport of surfing in a safe, fun and structured matter with our 5 day learn to surf course that includes theory surf lessons as well.
What about age?
It's something that we get asked a lot:
"But i'm 40-50-60-70 years old, surely i am too old to learn surfing?"
The short answer: no, age is not a problem!
The average age of the guests that comes to Swell Cabarete Surf Camp on their learn how to surf course is 38 years old. Which means for every 20 year old guest we have, we have someone over the age of 50
What are the requirements for being able to learn to surf
- Being able to Swim
Well in fact being able to swim is not even a requirement at certain surf destinations around the world, but since we at Swell teach in water that is generally between waist and shoulder high we do want people to be able to swim before they start our learn to surf course.
SURF LESSONS FROM PROFESSIONAL SURF COACHES
At Swell surf camp, our surf lessons are given in groups in a structured manner, using properly I.S.A. qualified surfing instructors.
This means that Swell’s surf coaches have all completed specific training in teaching techniques, including Practical and Theory Lessons, Life Guard Training and CPR/Basic First Aid. As a result, you could not be in safer hands on your learn to surf holiday with Swell Cabarete Surf Camp.
THE SWELL LEARN TO SURF PROGRAM
We set up a 5 day learn to surf course that takes place at Playa Encuentro. We use qualified surf instructors that speak English as their first language.
Swell Cabarete Surf Camp use safe soft top boards for the first few days of lessons of their learn how to surf course . We provide good surf booties and rash guards. Besides the lessons we gave on the beach, we also provide theory lessons at the camp for more background on topics such as:
- Safety briefing
- Where to sit in the line up
- Rip currents ( there’s none at Encuentro but at most other surf spots around the world there are)
- Surfer’s etiquette ( don’t drop in, priority rules etc.)
- Board designs and accessories.
- How waves are formed.
Most other surf schools and surf camps just focus on 1-2 days of surf lessons to make sure that the client manages to stand up on a board at least once. At Swell we want to make sure that when you leave the Dominican Republic you can not only stand up on a surfboard, but continue your surfing career at your local beach in a safe and fun manner.
A SWELL CABARETE SURF CAMP TYPICAL DAY
- Get up at 6.30 for the first morning session.
- Quick cup of fresh coffee
- Taxi takes you from Swell to Playa Encuentro.
- Surf lessons or session until 9 at Playa Encuentro.
- taxi ride back to Swell
- Delicious fresh cooked breakfast at Swell.
- Relax for a bit.
- Back to Playa Encuentro for a second surf session ( free surf with tips from the instructors)
- 12.30 back to Swell
- Grab a lunch in town ( our clients love Gordito’s Fresh Mexican across the road from us)
- If the conditions are very good and glassy we might go back for another surf for a sunset session.
- Chill at Swell until dinner is served or go in town with the other clients for a nice bite to eat.
- Maybe a few cold Presidente beers at one of the bars that’s within walking distance.
- Back to Swell, good night sleep in comfortable beds.
Besides the above for a typical learn how to surf with Swell Cabarete Surf Camp, we also offer learn to kitesurf courses, yoga classes (Read the article 10 ways you can benefit from going to a surf & Yoga Retreat ).
If you have any questions about learning to surf with Swell, have a look at this page, or send us a message. Ready to see the packages? Check the learn to surf packages swell offers.